Tuesday 15 May 2012

Second Wave

Here at base camp decisions have now been made. Our team has been split into two groups, so we'll go up the mountain in two waves for two separate attempts at the summit.

The first wave is lead by Rob Casserley, his team consists of two females going for youngest British woman to summit Everest, Becky and Molly and joining them are Matt, Richie and Valerie.
I was up yesterday at 4 30am to wish them a safe and successful trip up the hill. All a little nervous as they left camp and headed into the ice fall. I was left feeling down and wanting my go, but my time will come.

The second wave will be Kenton, Keith, Roger, Ryan and myself. Kenton is attempting summit number 10 and taking an Olympic medal to the summit. It's a great privilege to be climbing with him. We are hoping to depart base camp around the 20th May, for a window that looks good around the 25th. This is a prediction and a lot can change.

My tent was on a massive slant, so i spent most of this morning relocating to a better position. I kept waking up on the other side of the tent which was quite annoying. I managed to find a flat spot to move to. Hopefully it will result in a better nights sleep.

Old position - My tent on the piss!
The ground my tent was sat on!
A nice new, flat, tidy tent.
One of our sherpas took a fall around camp yesterday and hit his head. Disorientated and shocked he spent the day at the Medical Centre under the watchful eye of the HRA doctor. He was released yesterday night and has to take it easy for a few days. As the glacier melts around our camp it's getting more and more dangerous walking around. The movement and change here is unbelievable.

A crevasse that fell through
I'm really excited now for my chance at the summit, every day is a day closer. Just need to stay busy and motivated till my chance presents itself. It's so easy to get lazy here.

Reflection of base camp

No comments:

Post a Comment