Tuesday 1 May 2012

Acclimatised & Ready

So been at base camp for a few weeks now after a nice walk in down the khumbu. The lodges were great and the slow acclimatisation was perfect for our arrival at BC.

BC offers a set up that includes a personal tent, toilet tent, mess tent and shower tent..... That's about it for the stay here. It's comfy enough, making your tent your own, lots of down time though for recovering from the slogging up and down the mountain.

I have now completed my acclimatisation. First it was a trip into the ice fall to get used to the ladders etc, second came a rotation to camp 1 for a night and then camp 2 for 2 nights and back to BC. A few well earned days rest then it was time for the third rotation, straight to camp 2 a day's rest then a day trip up the Lhotse face to camp 3 in what must have been 40/50 mph winds . An interesting day as the Lhotse face at present is so dry and icy, no snow on it at all. Good job I put in some hours ice climbing.

The 3 phases have chucked so much at me, I have been dusted by an avalanche, seen a dead Sherpa being moved to camp 1 for helicopter recovery, running down to try and assist after a huge avalanche hit camp 1 and dealing with a very icy Lhotse face in really high winds.
As a result of the above I am now acclimatised and ready, if and when a weather window presents itself, for an attempt at the summit.

Nights here are dominated by the sounds of cracks from the glacier below and avalanches up high. The mountain forever moving and never sleeping.

For now it's rest and recovery and trying to prevent myself going mad at base camp.

To all that follow my progress I thank you for your support.

Next stop, fingers crossed the SUMMIT!!!!




In the words of Foo Fighters - 'There goes my Hero, watch him as he goes'.

2 comments:

  1. Mate.

    I just want to say you are my frickin hero. This is an unbelievable adventure. I am very envious however, I am not sure i would ever do it. Those pictures look mental!!. I have been following with interest only just realized you can post comments!

    Good luck on the summit. Stay safe. Adam (Beef)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam (Beef)?!

    Thanks for your comment, I have passed it onto Paul.

    Much appreciated

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete