Saturday 5 May 2012

Base Camp Boredom

Been at base camp now for 5 days after touching camp 3 and the boredom is kicking in. Awaiting the winds to drop so they can fix ropes to the south col and so we can climb to the summit. The jet stream is ever present and howling over the summit of Mount Everest, a roar that actually scares you.

Controversy over fixing and a few big teams voicing Everest maybe unclimbable is causing me a bit of concern. I believe and many others agree that a summit is possible. The winds have dropped and fixing could happen but we will have to wait and see.

A lot of tent time and counting the hours to breakfast, lunch and dinner and then bed. This seems to be the routine that after 4 days now I need a break from. So as the winds are not dropping and a window is not looking to present itself soon. I need a plan, otherwise I could become the laziest dude at base camp.

Tomorrow, a trek to Pomori base camp could be on the cards. Apparently the views over the western cowm and Everest are amazing, maybe a 6hr day so leave after breakfast. An opportunity to get some epic snaps providing, the weather is good. Then maybe the day after head down valley, to Pangboche. A drop in 1500m that should make me feel like superman. It's warmer and a change in scenery might be just the ticket for a few days.

Base camp is forever changing, my tent is now on a pedestal maybe 6/8 inches of the floor, a result of the glacier around the tent melting away. A few of the team have had to have their tents moved, as the glacier has cracked underneath and put there tent on the wonk. It's amazing the movement here. Avalanches are going off on surrounding peaks all the time. They are becoming normal now and I don't jump out of my tent every time I hear one to see where and the size.

So it was the plan to get fully acclimatised early in case of an early window. I am now stuck in a holding pattern due to high winds and fixing the yellow band and col, that means the rest of base camp is catching up. It's down to Henry now to come up with a master plan that means a summit attempt is possible and not shared with the rest of base camp. I'm sure he will work it out.

It's been good getting to know the Sherpas, great group with so much experience. I have not climbed with them yet but look forward to a possible summit bid with them.

I'm still feeling positive and up beat. The news of the Do Summit Good Charity Ball raising over 60,000 also brought a lot of joy to me. Again I would like to thank everyone that attended the ball and that has sponsored me on this amazing journey. If you have not sponsored and wish to do so please follow the virgin giving link on my websites home page www.dosummitgood.co.uk

For now it's a waiting game and constantly watching the weather. Let's hope it's not too long before I'm going back up the hill on a summit bid.

No comments:

Post a Comment