Monday 28 May 2012

Reflecting On A Great Trip

Right now I'm on the Qatar airlines flight QR7 to Heathrow Terminal 4. I have had 2 months of lodges and tents and the bare necessities resulting in a summit of the highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest. 

Reflecting on the trip, I realise I have followed in the footsteps of legends to the top of the world. The likes of Sir Edmund Hillary to present legends Uri Steck and not forgetting those between like Ranulf Messner. I feel deeply privileged to have had the opportunity to experience a beautiful mountain and a route trod by so many living the same dream. 

Everest is a commercial mountain today, a route that many consider easy and think is a stroll in the park, just a walk. I personally don't think it get's the respect it deserves. A mountain that is kind on a good day but can be so unkind the next.

I had to take steps over 4 bodies that were victims of 2012 chaos and shared a helicopter with the body of the Korean man who's life was taken by the mountain.  A Nepalese/Canadian lady was 100 maybe 200m from safety and the mountain kept her hostage, it makes you think why couldn't she make it safely to camp 4? I met a guy in the road house in KTM today with bandages on 4 of his right fingers, he had stopped and tried to help the lady for 4 hours, but all he had to show for his efforts was frost bite. Maybe inexperience, maybe lack of support or maybe the climbers did not give the mountain the respect it's due. All I know is, it's a dangerous place that requires 110% respect and care. 

I too had my dramas at altitude, nearly getting frost bite on my feet and hands and my spell of snow blindness... The snow blindness hit me properly once I was back at Camp 4, but it hits many on the ascent/decent resulting in loss of sight (not necessarily permanent), for me this could have been another story. Victor saunders told me of a time when a client went snow blind at the summit and had to be short roped all the way down, I had a lucky escape and believe I managed my problem very well. I will elaborate in a future blog. 

Sherpas have a massive part to play in the mountains. Many are experts at their job and these guys take it upon themselves to be the best. Mine (Jabu Sherpa) definitely had an impact on my summit push being a success. I told him about my eyes on the way up and he told me how to ease the impact and warmed my right hand when using the adjuma, which resulted in my fingers almost freezing. I highlighted my symptoms, but many climbers ignore them. Your Sherpa is there to help and support just like a climbing partner. 

I now sit in row 9, seat A and a million thoughts and memories are buzzing through my mind. Reflection on a brilliant, safe and successful trip. In less than 12 hours I will be reunited with my fiancĂ©, family and friends and my life will slowly return back to normal. A transition after living in the mountains I may find hard! 

I have missed Natalie like you can't imagine and have a wedding to plan for (the date will be revealed in the very near future), a summer to enjoy filled with sport and great entertainment and reflection of a mountain so beautiful which has given me friends and memories for life. 

I want to thank everyone that made this trip possible and then I'd like to thank everyone that made it what it was, sherpas, climbers, Henry Todd and many more, who organised and set the foundations for a safe and successful trip. 

I have made friends for life and managed to open doors in life that may lead to amazing opportunities. An experience and a result no one can take away from me, a story I can tell my children and grandchildren and something I am very proud of. 

I want Nepal to remain a part of my life, the place and people I have become very fond of and respect massively. I can't wait to take Natalie trekking in the Khumbu and meet my new friend's. 

I thank everyone involved in making this dream come true. I will never forget this victory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment