Monday 1 April 2013

How time flies...


It only seemed like yesterday that I put out a blog saying 1 month to go. Now it's less than 2 weeks...

Everything is coming together for my departure to the Himalaya, in search of my 2nd 8,000m peak.

Currently sorting kit, clothing, insurance, flights and much much more prior to my departure on the 13th April.

I'm feeling mixed emotions with half of me eager to get back in the mountains and half slightly concerned about leaving my wife for 4/5/6 weeks. It will feel like a lifetime as I head down the khumbu valley and make an ascent of the 4th biggest mountain on earth.

Knowing I'm heading back to this land that is so magical and so special to me brings me so much joy, but the thought of not falling asleep with my wife in my arms and waking up to her beautiful smile, having her there to talk about daily troubles and make things right, is starting to play on my mind.

I have another event playing on my mind. I will be an uncle in the coming weeks and will I be around for the birth?

It's all happening my end, but I know come the 13th, I need to switch into expedition mode and focus on my acsent of Lhotse.

This summit means a lot to me for so many reasons and it's going to be amazing to be back at Everest Base Camp, many will be there to celebrate 60 years since Hillary and Tenzing stood on top of the world.

I have the pleasure of flying out with Kenton Cool and I'm looking forward to having his company on the flight and at base camp, as well as putting names to faces and making new friends. I'm aware we are in good company at EBC this year, with some formidable mountaineers present.

All the anxieties I believe are normal pre expedition and I thank my wife, family and friends for all their support, encouragement and belief.

Love ya all.


No comments:

Post a Comment