Wednesday 13 July 2011

Day 2 - Non Stop Rain.......

Last night it rained non stop and harder than I can ever remember. Low cloud filled the valley and prevented us going into the mountains.

Victor had a back up plan and took us to "Les Thermes de Saint-Gervais" which was a country park just out of town. We found some great over hanging rock which was amazingly well sheltered and we were introduced to Aid Climbing. This I found an interesting and challenging way of getting up a rock face.

We had lunch and found a marque to get us out of the rain and then followed up with an introduction to crevasse rescue. Learning the right way to use the sling systems and aids in a rescue I found really interesting and I think that I have now got my head around it. I look forward to trying it out when we get into the mountains tomorrow - obviously in a controlled and planned situation!

We finished the day by completing 2 rock climbing pitches, I took different approaches to Neil and found 2 really good routes up the rock that had slight over hangs. I'm now really feeling the benefits from all the rock climbing I have already done and I'm enjoying the challenge of  new routes more and more - I feel my foot and hand placements have taken a big jump forward and this is great.

Tomorrow we go over to Italy. The plan is to climb in and around the "Torino Hut". With the weather being how it has been over the last 24hrs there will be alot of fresh snow in the mountains. It is planned that one night will be in the tent and two in the hut which gives us 3 days to hopefully get some routes ticked off. The main being the "Aiguille de Geant" which I'm quite exited about.

Next update in 3 days...............




Gore Tex Needed....


Me giving "Aid Climbing" a go


Harder than it looks..... I would rather just rock climb it!!!


Making Progress..... I slipted of on the next move, bad gear placement


Victor instructing Neil

Neil on the push and making progress

Victor Messing around and keeping Neil tight

No comments:

Post a Comment