Tuesday 12 July 2011

Day 1 - Back to Basics

We meet "Victor Saunders" our guide for the next 10 days this morning. A guy that seems very low key but has a mountain of knoledge. We went over our goals, objectives and exsperience and I was chuffed with his reaction when I told him about last weeks summit of the "Forbes Arete".

We headed to the "Mer De Glace" by train which was a really nice way to get up the mountain. On arrival at the glacier we got our harnesses on and started the desent. Quite a few ladders and traveres along the side on the glacier brought us to the base. Neils first bit of exsposure to the sheer faces we will be facing and I thought he composed himself really well. Although the dude was sweating like you cant imagine.

We put our crampons on got our axes out and Victor went through how to walk and move properly and use the equiptment most effectively. Although this was pulling me right back to basics I do feel I got something out of it.

We headed of the glacier to a rock climbing wall where we started to learn cravase rescue (self assisting), Using "prussiks" to move up the rope. This is a area I want to focus hard on and learn well as I feel it is a essential skill to have in the mountain. We had alot of fun dangling of a tree practicing these techniques.

After a coffee and further discussion we hit a easy grade rock climbing route which we assended in our B3's (climbing boots). All the hard work at "Craggys" and in Swanage really paid of. I felt I shot up the route.

Clossing of the day we had a few beers in the local Brewery overlooking "Mont Blanc". I love this place.


Guide "Victor Saunders"


"Mer De Glace" train station


On the "Mer De Glace" Glacier

Victor going through with Neil Crampon and Axe Technique


Furthher technique work


Ladders down th foot of glacier


Niel practising self assist crevase technique


Me trying out new techniques


A well earned beer......


Me enjoying a beer with the magical view over "Mont Blanc"

No comments:

Post a Comment