Monday 23 January 2012

"why did I not take up chess"

Another early morning which started with Tommy saying "Why do I do this, why didn't I take up chess." We headed straight to Cervieres, knowing we had a long walk into the crag. We approached the supposed car park, we went off road and bottomed out the car, we spent at least an hour digging it out with no joy. Scott and the others drove by and obviously seeing us with snow shuvels didn't raise any alarms. They headed to the correct car park and started to get ready. After maybe an hour and a half, Tommy and I decided to get ready and head to the crag, abandoning the car, we hoped to get a tow after a days climb...... then Scott and the others turned up and we managed to get the car out! Thank god.

Then came the walk in, Tommy and I were real men and used our legs (brawn), while the the others were on Ski's (they used their brains). We ended up taking what we thought was the right route and it took us off road and through thigh high snow for 3.5km, the boys on skis found this amusing!! A long, tough walk in, but to our credit we still beat the boys on ski's to the foot of the ice route. Tommy and I are hardcore and this was good character building and training for our adventures later this year. There was one point where Tommy said surely this would be easier to crawl.... we both gave it a go, hilarious!!

I second 2 really nice 5 grade routes today and was feeling a lot stronger on the ice. Using the front points on the crampons is getting a lot easier and my foot work is improving. I think there will be some leading tomorrow and towards the end of the week. It's all about confidence, relaxing and trusting your feet.

Scott was on a nice route that I second, he nearly gave up right at the top. He shouted, "This is bad, f!"#, I'm pumped, I'm gonna come off." After a load of encouragment he pulled through and topped out on the route. Good effort Scott.

After a nice stroll back to the car we loaded up and encouraged Will and Dan to go skin up a lovely looking piste and ski down. Will nailed the slop and Dan had 2 falls, one landing on his arse, which has given him a nice limp and something to moan about. Great effort lads and looking forward to seeing some great video footage that Tommy got.

Now for Roast chicken a glass of red, an early night and some more climbing tomorrow.




Tommy off road


Thigh high snow, hard on my little legs


Tommy Leading WI5
 

Dan


Me on top rope of WI5


Will

Scott and me on belay

Me enjoying the ice

Dan

Me getting used to the mono points

Arms pulling hard!

Close to the top



How much easier on ski's!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment