Sunday 22 January 2012

First day on Ice

A 0630 alarm call and it was time to shower, eat and get out on some ice. My first day ice climbing, the excitment was somewhat suppressed by the tiredness, the drive yesterday really took it out of me, but the sun rise this morning was amazing, it put a spring in our steps....


What a view to wake up to.

On route to the ice crag we had to deal with winding mountain roads with snow and ice on and big drop off's into the valley below. We put on the ice chains and slowly progressed to the car park at the bottom of the routes.

Tommy and I headed to "Les nains des ravines" a 300m, IV/4 climb. We had a 45min walk-in that was made a lot harder by our choice of route, through knee high snow, but good training. We geared up and Tommy lead the way and I second his route. This was my first time on ice and I really enjoyed the challenges it presented. An easy-ish route but it got me practicing axe placement and foot work. On steeper routes these two techniques are essential. It was great to experience my first abseil off a abalakov too.

At one stage of the climb, I went to take some pictures and out of my case fell my spare battery, already commited to the route we had complete it, before having a look for the battery. It was like looking for a needle in a hay stack but I found it. Result!!

Tomorrow maybe some steeper routes and Tommy wants me leading!!!





The Route - "Les nains des ravines"
 
Tommy and I on walk out

Tommy leading route

Tommy making good progress

Me on ice

Enjoying the challenge of ice climbing




No comments:

Post a Comment