Tuesday 24 January 2012

Another epic walk-in

Another epic walk-in this morning to the bottom of our route for the day, a 200m, 4 pitch WI4/5, called "Clair de lunule"

Even with an early start and a monster pace breaking trail in hip high snow, we still arrived at the route third!! We had a cuppa, some flap jack and geared up waiting for enough space between the climbers in front of us.

We set off and started climbing, it was a really nice, fairly easy climb, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The second pitch was long and Tommy was running out of screws, so he set up a belay, I started to climb when showers of ice started flying overhead. It seemed the group in front were re-sculpting the route, by the amout of ice falling above us. At one point a big load went overhead, if I'm honest, I thought it was an avalanche. I got close into the ice, got my head down and let the ice fly by, the sound was like astroids whizzing past my head. Tommy got smashed in the arm by a boulder, which gave him a dead arm and affected his ability to hold his axe. I climbed up to him and then beyond, up a small piece of ice then up a snow slope to a belay point, securing myself to a tree. Tommy came up, we had 1 big pitch left but his arm was bothering him. We made the decision to absiel off and maybe return tomorrow for another go.

Pizza and a cuppa seemed to fit the bill and now for earlish night. Up early for another trip to the ice.




Todays route, "Clair de lunule"

Tommy on the lead


Unknown climber, the lady that nearly killed my mate


Me on second pitch


Me approaching belay

No comments:

Post a Comment