Monday 29 August 2011

Thamel

This morning we all took a walk into Thamel to get a few last minute bits of kit before we depart tomorrow. This place is mad! You have cycles, motor bikes, cars, vans and people everywhere - horns going off like you can't imagine. The atmosphere and buzz is amazing!

It was great to take in a bit of local culture....

4 of us decided to head to the Shyambu Narh monkey temple. The taxi journey was an experience on it's own. I can't describe the carnage on the roads here! You need to see it to believe it.

Arriving at the temple I was amazed by the amount of prayer flags that hung on the surrounding trees. The temple was stunning, the gold roof glistening in the afternoon sun - it actually took my breathe away.

I walked around the temple and experienced a feeling I can't explain. I felt a rush of blood around my body which made me feel so energised and also to think how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing.

Monkeys were all over the ground, jumping into pools of water from overhanging trees. It was fantastic.

We headed back to the hotel for lunch and the 4 of us each told stories of our experiences in the mountains.

Tonight we have a team dinner at an Italian in town. Tomorrow an early alarm call to catch the flight to Lhasa. And then the Trek begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment