Monday 15 August 2011

First Lead and an Onsight

I was back to Portland today for some sport climbing. It was another early start but the day out was well worth the 0530 alarm call. Tommy and I managed to get a load done with routes ranging from grades 3+ to 6c. I managed my first lead on a 6a "Hanging Out With Halo Jones" and I onsigted a 6b called "High Flyer", which I was chuffed about. Tommy was on fire and is climbing really well, flying up some really tricky 6c's which I had serious trouble with because of the crimpy holds. More work on the fingerboard is in store for me.
It was good to see Paul and his mates, Phil and his Dad Kieron out too, a bit of extra support and encouragement is always welcome when your hanging on and really want to let go.

Great photos again so big thanks to Tommy. At the point where I went for my first 6a lead it was like a professional photo shoot. We had Tommy half way up the route with his fish eye, Phil's SLR on a tripod on remote activation and Tommy's hand held camera filming me.... nothing like a bit of pressure.

Again a great day out, if I can wangle work we are off to Somerset next Saturday to a place called "Cheddar", it's meant to be amazing multi pitch climbing.

Today's Routes:
Never Lead a Existence - 4
Phil's Route - 4
Days of Heaven - 5
Love on the Rocks - 5
Hanging Out With Halo Jones - 6a
Cat juggling - 4+
High Flter - 6b
Spear of broccoli - 5+
Lola - 5
Heart of the Sun - 6a

Me on my first 6a lead - "Hanging Out With Halo Jones"



Kieron on "Hanging out with halo jones" 6a

Phil onsight of "Jurassic Bark" 7a


Phil taking it easy on a 7a


Phil climbing "Unload the Forbags" 6b+

Me on "Heart of the Sun" 6a


Darrel on "Spear of Broccoli" 5+


No comments:

Post a Comment