Sunday 5 June 2011

Hedbury Quary - Climbing in the Rain!

Met up with Tommy and his friend  Paul at 0900 at Darlson Country Park. The sky was looking moody and unpredictable, the wind was blowing hard and on shore.  After a cuppa and chat we changed the plan. Instead of climbing "Flake Ledge" we headed to a more sheltered spot down the coast called "Hedbury Quary".
A beautiful setting for some climbing and in the distance you could see the rain approaching. We started with some easy climbs and as predicted the rain started. Climbing in the rain is tough, you need to take more time when making your choice of foot and hand holds and commit.
Today I managed to lead for the first time, this for non climbers means when you are first up a route and responsible for securing the rope to the wall. I am looking forward to becoming more confident with using gear and to then lead more routes and tougher grades in the future.
I recall climbing "Moral Flexibility", "Sea View" but with a water level start and "New Age, New Style" which was a 5+ that I did not complete cleanly. I think I came off 4 times trying to get one move but got it in the end and eventually got to the top. I will crack it next time!!!
Rain progressively got harder and we decided to find shelter and grab lunch. Tommy went through some rope techniques and knots that I will need in the Alps next week, taking coils, the Italian hitch and a few others.
Next week is the start of the journey my first steps on a mountain, exposed to the elements. I am feeling anxious, but excited and can’t wait to experience Alpine Climbing.
Me climbing "Moral Flexibility"



Me on "Sea View" from a water level start


No comments:

Post a Comment