Tuesday 14 June 2011

Cosmiques Arete (3842m) - First Alpine Route

We took the 0830 cable cart to the "Aiguille du Midi" got our gear sorted, cross checks done and it was time to walk through the ice tunnel and take my first steps onto the "Midi Ridge". First impressions blew me away, the views over the "Vallee Blanche" were spectacular. Legs a little unsteady on the meter wide ridge and it took a few minutes for me to find my feet. As I started to gain confidence I could look up and enjoy further this amazing setting. The sun on our backs it was not long before we were stripping off the layers, it was perfect weather for this route.
Working at altitude for the first time was interesting, any incline in terrain and the heart rate would rise and you could feel your head starting to pump, now I understand why Tommy kept saying slow and steady. Controlling your H/R is the name of the game.
There are 2 abseils on this route and both where amazing, hanging off the side of the mountain, the feeling I can't explain.
The Crux (the hardest point of the climb) was an interesting section where your hands follow a small hairline crack in the wall while digging those crampons into the face at the same time. Pushing on we had further challenging moves and then it was the summit. Tommy went up first and then we were there ... the route was complete.
The feeling was amazing.

It was great climbing in the mountains with Tommy, a guy I respect and trust and have learnt so much from. I can only hope there are many more alpine trips in the future.



First Steps onto the "Midi Ridge"


Rest before the start of the "Cosmiques Arete"


Moving up the slopes to the Ridge


Tommy "My private tour guide"


Traversing the First Tower


Taking in the Views


Coming of the Fist Abseil

The Classic Cosmiques Photo

The Crux


Moving up the final chimney towards the Summit


The Summit - 3842m


Climbing Exit Ladder to the Lift Station


Am looking forward to the first cable cart up the mountain tomorrow and hopefully if the weather predictions stay the same a bash at the "Traverse of the Pointes Lachenal".

No comments:

Post a Comment