Saturday 4 May 2013

Camp 2 rotation

Set of at 0430 this morning on a camp 2 rotation. What does this mean? We go to camp 1 for the night then push to camp 2 for a few nights. By sleeping at the altitude will allow our body's to adapt to the lack of oxygen in the air, the biochemical adaptation will take place and next time up should feel easier. Mmm!!!

I was asked by Henry to team up with Leo, a 63 year old, American to help get him through the ice fall and to camp 1. Leo and I set of and slowly made ground through the ice fall. I could sense Leo struggling. after 3/4 motivational talks and me trying to get a little more out of him, he gave in and headed back to base camp. Leo is a legend in his own right solo crossing the Atlantic when he was 60. Leo hope you enjoyed your adventure to the Himalaya and safe travels home.

So with Leo turned round I was on my own making my way through the icefall. Making my way to camp 1, a lonely place. I arrived at camp 1 in good time.

I'm in really good company at camp 1 with Bill Crouce a mountaineering legend in his own right. Summiting Everest from both north and south side, also summits to his name are pumori, denali, ama dablam and the list goes on. Based in switzland I get the picture this guy just lives in the hills. He has worked with Russell Brice, adventure consultants and holds a very good reputation as a guide, climber and  bloke in the mountains.

Bills client Hermann is a super nice guy and is always coming out with something that will put a smile on your face. I have already enjoyed many lenghly conversations with this fascinating man.
Its great to find myself climbing with such experienced mountaineers. You learn so much, from simply changes in routines to technical changes to kit that just aid in performance. 
So camp 1, offers boiling hot temperatures one minute, down to pants and the next minute spin drifts blowing Arctic temps and tents are zipped up and layers back on. Boiling ice is a routine and you just keep drinking and eating.

Happy days ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment