Tuesday 19 June 2012

Seeing His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Whilst I was away climbing, Natalie had heard his Holiness the Dalai Lama was in the UK doing public talks. When I returned from the Himalaya, I was told I would be going to listen to him in Manchester.

After my experiences in the Himalaya, being blessed by Lama Geshe and being around Buddhists for 2 months, seeing the Dalai Lama was something that really excited me.
We drove up north, popping into Wakefield to see my Nan and Granddad. Then we headed to Manchester.

Sunday morning we headed to the Manchester Arena and took our seats. A slideshow of pictures of Tibetan monasteries and the Himalaya’s instantly calmed me. So many familiar pictures brought back great memories. A demonstration of Tibetan dancing took place then hisHoliness entered.

The Dalai Lama started by telling us he is no miracle worker, he does not have magical powers or ointments to make things better. Making a joke of this and telling a story about how if he did he would open ointment shops and make a fortune. Such a warm, friendly and humorous human being, someone you would want to be around all the time if you could.
The messages that he puts across are logical and can be applied to life no matter what religion or belief. He did not preach about Buddhism or try and convert. He talked calmly about our approach to life and how we can enhance it by small changes, how we think and how the way we think influences the way we feel.
There is only one religion and that's love is something that was mentioned and has so much meaning behind it. Love all and let all be loved.
I want to thank Natalie for organising such an amazing weekend. It was amazing experiencing the Dalai Lama, hearing messages that I will remember forever.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment