Sunday 11 December 2011

Crash, Bang, Wallop


A gloomy Sunday, but Tommy and I were desperate to get out and climb. With the weather predicted to close in at 1030 we got our tools out and decided to find a cave on the south coast and train for January's trip to the Ice.
It was my first time using axes on rock, an interesting experience to say the least. There never seems to be a positive hold to work off. We traversed a few sections of the cave and I started to get to grips with hanging and body positions. Tommy was eyeing up an interesting wall to attempt a treverse of..... it looked clean with nothing to get the axes into. We had a play and started to put a sequence together. On some of the holds the axes were hanging on by 2mm!!!

We had a early lunch, and a cup of tea. An awesome escallope bagette made from Saturday nights leftovers. I was ready to work the wall.

I had a go, got a couple of moves and came off.... I attempted again and check out the fall!!

We continued to mess around, I had 2 decent falls and Tommy had 1, but it was a good one .

We retired, headed to a tea room in Wareham and grabed a coffee and some cakes as Tommy I are both on the 'See Food Diet', we see it we eat it!

It was great to get out on the tools and make the most of a bad day weather wise. Got some awesome pictures and I kind of have a little idea of whats coming in January. Ecxiting times on the ice.

I'm feeling the falls now I'm home and writing this blog. It will be interesting tomorrow, arnika and rest are needed.


 

A moody Dorset coast line

Tommy ready for business



Its show time!!!

Tommy on the fragile face

Me enjoying the challenge of working with axes

Tommy moving nicely across the wall


On the move

Trust and Belief the hold is good.... Mmmm

Tommy working the wall

Warming up - a nice traverse to get used to the tools

Me on the training wall

Very close to taking the camera out!!

Secret Location


What we were working with...... maybe 2mm of contact

Crash, Bang, Wallop.......

No comments:

Post a Comment